Monday, March 26, 2007

From Atlantic City to Christopher and Gay

This past weekend was packed with a lot of comedy and poker as CT came to town and the Tropicana was kind enough to provide a free room for the two of us. I always was most comfortable at the poker table. I think that’s where my interaction with an audience truly began. It’s the process of entertaining a crowd whether for three hours of a tournament or as was the case on Friday a sixteen hour cash game session. Not everyone appreciate the jokes and the commentary but usually I bring over 60-80% of the table who don’t want to leave and don’t want me to leave. Some of the tales I tell are designed to get certain results for the most part I just yuck it up and it is there that I do my best crowd work.

I’ve never been one to talk to strangers on airplanes or buses. I typically kept to myself even before the advent of ipods but at the table I’m a completely different person and if I could get that persona on stage I’d be one step closer to the success I seek. After doing unwritten material for two days and three nights in AC I came home to do the new talent show at Gotham and although I only had a short four minute set, it went well and I feel like my new material always ceases to disappoint and I’m looking forward to doing my current set at Laugh Lounge this Saturday. Sunday Night I went to Pieces for Menage a Ha part Deux.

I still need to write my reviw of Menage a Ha part one but I’ll start with Menage a Ha Part Deux which like many sequels was not quite as strong as the original but was still a great time. I really recommend Christian’s show at Pieces, whether gay straight or bisexual you can appreciate the mixed comedy in a comfortable setting. Although a little tight, you can’t beat the easy access by taking the ABCDEF to West 4th and plenty of late night drunken food to end your night, even with the loss of the rat infested KFC/Taco Bell. Part Deux consisted of the very funny Imrana Zaman, Julie Marcus, Brad Loekle, and headliner Becky Donahue. Danny Leary was back from the first Menage a Ha “If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.” And of course always hilarious gay Puerto Rican, Christian Cintron, “We’ll either fuck you or we’ll cut you.” After the night great conversation ensued with fellow comics Chesslee Calloway, Stu Mason, Amanda Beals, Keith an Irish comic and the performers. Late night drinking led to a 2:30 drunken sleep but I’ll definitely be back for Menage a Ha part Tres and if you have any Sundays open check out Pieces at the corner of Christopher and Gay.

Coming up is the comedy contest at Laugh Lounge for the Comic in Residence Program. Hopefully many will make it out and support. It should be a great lineup and a great show, I know I'm coming to represent. All information can be found at my myspace page: www.myspace.com/mattebner or at laughlongenyc.com

Evil happens when good people sit back and do nothing...

1 comment:

lj said...

update your blog much?